International manufacturer worried about losing market share
An international manufacturer who were once the market leader. But, they were losing their UK market share to their traditional competitors and other’s who used trial in their wake. And, they had no idea why.
Challenge for the international manufacturer
A very tight deadline they wanted an understanding of the key competitor’s organisational structure and culture. Also, gain an understanding of their sales strategy, sales teams and inshore promoters and staff. As well as, appreciate their service proposition.
- Firstly, we provided a view on their competitors organisation (Structure, Numbers, hierarchy, reporting lines, Field/Promoters staff, and culture)
- Secondly, their Strategy (Market, Product, Promotion, Retail, Channel, Training, Field)
- Then their service proposition (Retailer support, customer support, post-purchase contact approach). KPIs (Key measures of success, value and volume).
- Also, the terms and margin structure offered to their retail partners
- Understanding of their retail estate strategy (Branded display and in-run) and store staff advocacy (Training, Incentives, Benefits etc.)
- An understanding of key selling points
- Finally, the key points driving Premium sales and their digital presence
A pleased client who was amazed at how quickly we could turn around the project. Octopus Intelligence gave them a better understanding of why their competitor was taking business away from them and route to counter-attack.
However, a few months later, it soon became apparent, the international manufacturer’s European senior management did not really want to know and the intelligence we provided was not welcome in some quarters. It showed basic systematic failure and the awarding of contracts based on personal preference. Their appointed data retail analysis company had become lazy and comfortable and were making up their results. It was easier to ignore the facts, hide failure and a take a promotion.
And, get in touch with Octopus via our contact us page.
And please feel free to sign up to our daily one-liner Intelligence tip. Or sign up for our monthly article.
And some further reading suggestions:
|Firstly, manufacturer looking for a new market|
|And how to achieve buy in|
|Finally, what do you think you know?|