An ever growing list of questions
Intelligence questions examples
What are they planning?
- What does your competitor do? – Not as simple and straightforward question as it seems.
- Do their actions match their words?
- Where do they compete, which customers and niches?
- How are they going fight in the future?
- Are their strategic objectives achievable and will they clash with yours?
- What options do we have to compete in this changing world?
- How will you differentiate against them? Can you isolate vulnerabilities to exploit?
- What is their buying system for the MOD and what is the best route to market?
- Who is backing them and what is their real financial state?
- What is their pricing strategy?
- What is their real financial performance?
- And, what are implications for our company if we move into that market?
- What is the planned filing procedure in Europe for regulatory approval?
- What is the dosage of the drug?
- Is the company aiming for a premium price?
- What about their marketing strategies?
- Which companies should we acquire to develop market share in that area?
- Should we move into that market?
- How do our competitors plan to compete for the future?
- What is their vision, their strategic intent?
- How committed are they to achieving their declared Strategic objectives?
- How and where might their objectives conflict with ours?
- What is the range of options open to us for dealing with unfolding new realities?
- Does their performance and activities match the mission? If not why not?
- What vulnerabilities can we exploit? Where do we not want to compete with them?
Customer, Market and Distribution
- Who are our competitor’s key suppliers?
- Who are their biggest customers?
- What brands are in their portfolio?
- What publications do they read?
- And, what is their preferred advertising route they prefer an agency to pursue?
- What is the target’s social media footprint?
- Who are their key customers?
- What is X International Customer Base?
- What is the competitors real Financial Position? (focus on critical triggers)
- Who manufactures our competitor’s range of products?
- Who owns the IP?
- What is the current size of the worldwide ABC market?
- What is our route to the UK retail market?
- Who are the leading legal firms in the regulation market?
- Who are the Clients of the leading law firms?
- What is the perception of the law firm in the market?
- Who are the key competitors in this market?
- What are their strengths, weaknesses and how do they sell their services?
- Are competitors planning to introduce any radical new approaches to in store selling?
- How do they differentiate themselves and their offerings from us and other competitors?
- Any changes in competitors plans, activities or relationships with our firms key customers?
- What are their supplier agreements?
- What are their exclusive marketing agreements?
- Also, what their joint e-commerce initiatives that could be of particular interest?
- How aggressive are they terms of product development and marketing?
- Who are the key competitor in the new market / geographical area?
- Within Aerospace OEMs and supporting companies, which competitors do they use? What is the best route to market?
- Which competitors are used in the Oil and Gas industries and what are their routes to market?
- What threats are we doing to encounter in the market over the next 5 years
- Where do they compete? In what segment and for which customers?
- How does this conflict, if at all, with our own company’s ambitions?
- Who are the key players in the marketing team and C-Suite?
- What are the competitors approach to capturing physician’s loyalty?
- What are the competitors’ culture and style?
- Who do they collaborate with(research labs, universities etc)?
- Who are the risk takers?
- Which sales people bring in the most business?
- What are the management personality profiles?
- How do they perceive us? Our strategies and tactics?
Products and Technology
- What are their key product features?
- Which channel partners do they engage with?
- What are the key technical areas where X are focusing their research & development?
- What new products are they developing?
- And, what are their intentions or plans to launch or extend brands/ products?
- Do they have new packaging and delivery systems?
- What developments are underway in terms of product, production and packaging technologies?
- What is the expected product launch date?
- What are the current and future threats including disruptive changes in the industry, in government and in technology?
- Which companies should we acquire that could improve their most important technology platforms or market share position?
- Should we divest or cancel product lines?
- Which companies should we forge alliances or joint ventures with which are likely to give them a unique advantage in?
- What are our competitors trying to discover about us? And why?
- How are they trying to conduct Competitive Intelligence against us?
- What can we do, and what are we doing, to reduce their chances of getting it?
- What legitimate denial and deception tactics might we employ to safeguard our proprietary information?
- How quickly can they bring a new product/service to market?
- How are they generating capital for new ventures?
- Are they exploiting their research and development?
- What expertise do they possess in a particular process or technology?
- Do they have an efficient order processing?
- Do they have a sophisticated inventory management?
- How do they motivate and train a remote sales force?
- How do they motivating and train their workers?
- And, how strong is their supplier management?
- How good are they at distribution?
And, get in touch with Octopus via our contact us page.
And please feel free to sign up to our daily one-liner Intelligence tip. Or sign up for our monthly article.
And some further reading suggestions:
|What do you think you know?|
|Good to great questions|
|5 keys to conducting a market opportunity analysis|
|A trigger happy glaring gap in thinking|