Introduction to our policies
1.1 As a Global Business-to-Business Competitive Intelligence Agency, data and information is at the heart of what Octopus does.
1.2 Octopus take Privacy and protection of data and information seriously by Octopus, and are committed to handling the personal information of:
- Any other community responsibly
- Meeting the legal requirements of the countries in which we operate.
About Octopus Intelligence
2.1 Octopus Intelligence Limited (“Octopus”, “we”, “us” or “our”) is a Global Competitive Intelligence Agency.
What we collect
- Contact details such as your name, postal address, email address and telephone number;
- Comments, posts, feedback and other content submitted;
- Communication preferences and Interests including marketing permissions where appropriate;
- Professional background information;
- Location information; and
- IP address information and information relating to your use of the Octopus website.
3.2 We collect your personal information in the following main categories:
- Contact data provided when asking general questions via the website,
- Website visitor data (analytics),
- Subscriber data provided when signing up for news alerts.
Sensitive personal data
4.1 Routinely we do not collect sensitive personal data. However, If collecting or storing sensitive personal data. Data such as information relating to health, beliefs or political affiliation about customers, visitors and exhibitors. We will typically ask for your explicit consent.
How and why we use personal information
5.1 As we collect and use personal information, the lawful bases we use for this activity in Europe. As required under European data protection laws, are:
- Where you have consented to its use
- Also, where we have a legitimate interest to do so, provided your rights do not override these interests
- Where it is necessary for entering into or performing a contract with you
How we protect personal information
6.1 We will treat with the utmost care and security personal information by;
6.2 A variety of physical and technical measures. Used to keep data safe and prevent unauthorised access, use or disclosure of personal information.
6.3 Electronic data and databases stored on secure computer systems. We control who has access to information, using both physical and electronic means.
6.4 Our colleagues receive data protection training. We have detailed security and data protection policies that colleagues required to follow when handling personal data.
6.5 Reasonable steps taken to ensure that your personal information is kept secure from unauthorised access. But we cannot guarantee it will be secure during the transmission process to this website because we don’t control the transmission.
International transfer of personal information
7.1 Personal information accessed by our colleagues and 3rd party service providers from locations outside of the European Economic Area. Their data protection laws may not be as extensive as those in Europe.
7.2 To ensure the same level of protection is in place when processing is conducted outside the European Economic Area, we use appropriate European Commission approved safeguards.
7.3 We apply appropriate protection to make sure your personal data remains adequately protected and treated in line with this Policy.
7.4 Octopus has international data transfer agreements between its companies and with relevant third-party service providers based on European Commission standard contractual clauses.
7.5 All personal data is sent by encrypted means.
Sharing with service providers
8.1 We may share your personal information with third parties to assist in providing products and services to you.
8.2 These include:
- Website hosting/development providers,
- Website analytics providers,
- Email tracking service providers,
- Cloud storage and cloud communication service providers
- Providers of other cloud software that enable us to provide the service.
8.3 We will only share your personal information with such third parties to the extent necessary for them to provide such assistance.
Sharing with other organisations
9.1 We may share your personal information with third parties outside Octopus in the event of a sale, merger, acquisition and partnership. A joint venture, or negotiations related to the same with respect to all or part of our business.
9.2 Octopus may also may be legally required to disclose your personal information, because a court and the police. Also another judicial or law enforcement body, or government entity has asked us for it.
How long information is kept
10.1 We will only retain your personal information for as long as is necessary and as permitted by applicable laws.
10.2 Also, we will retain your personal information while we are using it and may continue to retain it after these uses have ended. Only where we have a legitimate business purpose.
10.3 For instance, if you have opted out of marketing communications from us, we will retain limited details about you to ensure the opt-out request is honoured.
10.4 We may also retain your personal information to meet our legal requirements or to defend or exercise our legal rights.
10.5 The length of time for which we will retain personal information depends on the purpose.
10. 6 You personal information will be deleted after Octopus no longer needs it.
How to update your information and marketing preferences.
11.1 We want to ensure you remain in control of your personal information. We try to ensure that the personal information held about you is accurate and up-to-date.
11.2 Octopus will always give the opportunity to opt out of future marketing communications. We will give you information on how to opt out when your personal information is collected. Also, specified on every marketing email sent.
11.3 If at any stage you would like to update or correct such personal information. Or opt-out of future marketing communications, email or write to us.
Our policies, your rights
12.1 EU data protection laws give individuals a number of rights. Where their data and information is processed by companies active and operating in Europe. Under General Data Protection Regulation these are:
- The right to confirm whether or not we have your personal data. If we do, to obtain a copy of the personal information we hold. A subject access request.
- Also, the right to have inaccurate data rectified.
- And the right to have your data erased. This does not however apply where it is necessary for us to continue to use the data for a lawful reason.
- The right to object to the use of your data. Specifically, you have the right to object to our use for marketing, in relation to automated decision making. This includes profiling where there may be legal or similarly significant effects.
- Also the right to obtain your personal data that you have provided to us, on the basis of consent or performance of a contract. Where technically feasible, we will transmit to you or directly to another company.
Exceptions to our policies
12.2 However, there are exceptions to these rights above. Where you make a request to us as part of these rights although there may be situations where we are unable to do so.
12.3 Depending on the laws of the country where you live, you may have other rights in respect of your personal information.
12.4 If you wish to exercise any legal right in respect of your personal information, please contact GDPR@octopusintelligence.com.
12.5 In some cases, we may decline a request you have made regarding your personal information, in accordance with applicable laws. We will explain if that is the case.
12.6 Ask us to stop sending you marketing messages, you may still receive them for a short period while processing your request.
13.1 This website may include links to third-party websites, plug-ins and applications. Clicking on those links or enabling those connections may allow third parties to collect or share data about you.
13.2 Also, we do not control these third-party websites and are not responsible for their privacy statements. When you leave our website, we encourage you to read the privacy notice of every website you visit.
Our polices Cookies
Our polices – Contact us
So, you may want to know more? Then get in touch here.
Also, Follow us on Twitter.